Fantasy Favourites Read-a-thon Day 2: Playlist!


I'm still a post late but will try to catch up! Day Two is all about the music. Funnily enough, while I'm extremely reliant on my iTunes library to fill in moments like taking public transport on the way to school, I don't actively associate certain songs with books or series I've read until someone else makes a link between book and song. Then I totally go


Yup. But let's get to the reading update first, shall we? *news music plays*

READING UPDATE

I finished Cinder while waiting for the doctor's. I've had TMJ, or lockjaw/jawlock, for 6 days in a row already and it's a complete seawitch. It doesn't hurt too much, but brushing my teeth, eating, yawning and laughing too hard are kinda problematic. Anyway, I am now 44% through with Scarlet on my Kindle. I really enjoyed Cinder a whole lot more this time than when I first read it, which made me go into one of my gurl what WERE you thinking back then?!?!? moments. Scarlet is pretty awesome so far. I'm loving Scarlet's fiery personality and the mystery of her grand-mère's whereabouts.

PLAYLIST

Like I said, I don't have an extensive book playlist (especially for like a series), so I'll be answering the challenge questions as straightforwardly as possible.

1. Pick a character and match a song to them.
I'm going with Arin from The Winner's Trilogy for this one — more specifically, the situation his character is in during the events of The Winner's Crime. I'll be cheating a little for this one and picking Florence + The Machine's cover of Drake's Take Care, because that's exactly what author Marie Rutkoski told me when I asked her!


I'm just gonna take a moment to say how I simply adore Florence + The Machine. Any FATM fans here? I love how Florence speaks like a bird but sings like a lion, and she's such a sweet person overall! You can skip to 0:41 to hear the cover immediately.

"I’ve asked about you and they told me things
But my mind didn’t change and I still feel the same"
...
"I’ll be there for you, I will care for you
I keep thinking you just don’t know
Trying to run from that, say you’re done with that
On your face girl, it just don’t show
When you’re ready, just say you’re ready
When all the baggage just ain’t as heavy
And the party's over, just don’t forget me
We’ll change the pace and we'll just go slow
You won’t ever have to worry,
You won’t ever have to hide"
I teared up at this part. The Winner's Crime is so much heartbreak and those of you who've read it will know EXACTLY what I'm referring to in Arin and Kestrel's relationship. I can almost hear Arin singing this to Kestrel. </3

2. Pick a scene and match a song to it.
The garden scene where Marco shows Celia his illusions in The Night Circus. Actually, pretty much any scene where the two illusionists are together and showing each other what they're capable of. I would pick Cosmic Love by — guess who again — Florence + The Machine, and no I totally did not steal this off Erin Morgenstern's playlist. This song is just magical, especially with the harp. Morgenstern calls it a "night-sky love song".

Fun fact: Florence Welch wrote this song with Isabella Summers in 10 minutes while on a hangover. How talented can a person get?!

"The stars, the moon, they have all been blown out
You left me in the dark
No dawn, no day, I'm always in this twilight
In the shadow of your heart
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map
And knew that somehow I could find my way back
Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too
So I stayed in the darkness with you"
3. Pick a book and match a song to it.
Passion by Lauren Kate for Christina Perri's A Thousand Years. I still don't get why that song was written for the The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, because Edward only waited a mere 100 years for Bella. On the other fin, Daniel Grigori spent a freaking 6000 years (and more) loving and waiting for Lucinda Price.


4. Pick a song and describe a short scene you would like to see happen in the book you are currently reading to that song or inspired by that song.
Scarlet and Wolf are doing quite a bit of running in the book so far, and I foresee even more of that happening. Plus, the fact that they're French calls for a song en français, oui? I'll pick Je Cours (literally: I'm running) by Belgian singer Stromae for that. He's phenomenal.

You can read the translated lyrics here.

"Mais mes pensées courent et se surpassent
Sur la lune très peu veulent m'y voir
Et j'y retourne souvent pour qu'eux m'rejoignent"
("Even my thoughts are running, outdoing each other
Under the moon they have little desire to see me there
And I often return there so they will rejoin me")
I think the lyrics apply more for Wolf actually, because somehow he's like a werewolf to me so far XD Thus the moon reference and all that.

5. What song would you force Hermione to listen to on repeat as long as she's chained to you?
Popular Song by MIKA ft. Ariana Grande. It's a fun song, full of truth, and I absolutely love the music video (it's so Tim Burton even though he didn't direct it). Also, we've both been kind of unpopular at some point in school ;)

"And all that you have to do, is be true to you
That's all you ever need to know"
6. What song would Hermione make you listen to?
She just made me listen to Vivaldi's Four Seasons on repeat this afternoon. You know, it's great music for studying and just about anything in life. Not that I mind one bit — I grew up with classical music and am a huge fan! I love Spring and Autumn best.


7. What’s your and Hermione's song?
Team by Lorde. It's the lyrics, but I like the subtle hint/sound of hope in the song and how it's laid-back. And you know, being a team and all that, just like she and Ron and Harry are. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but the melody is sort of uplifting in a way.

"We live in cities you'll never see on screen
Not very pretty, but we sure know how to run things
Living in ruins of the palace within my dreams
And you know we're on each other's team
I'm kind of over getting told to throw my hands up in the air
So there"
Plus, the wizarding world is definitely a city that muggles will never see on screen! ;)





2 comments:

  1. Oh man you read so fast! How do you manage it with school? I am glad you enjoyed Cinder more, I love that one! I'm currently reading Scarlett now, but not loving it as much as the first. Only 45 pages in though! I agree with the Take Care matching! But then again, I am more a fan of the Drake version ^^ I also really like the song Popular Song and think you related well.

    BUT OH MY THE SONG A THOUSAND YEARS AND TWILIGHT MATCH SO WELL.
    How did I not see this? DD:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a fast reader when given the luxury of time — I'm on school break now, you see XD I read a lot slower during school and the stress takes most of the joy away. I think Scarlet is just as good, if not better than Cinder. I adore Scarlet and Wolf; they make such a great pair! And thank you, the Popular Song makes me happy whenever I hear it :D

      Well Cristina Perri specially wrote the song for the Breaking Dawn movie. I think it's a pretty sweet tie-in, but if you've read the Fallen series by Lauren Kate you'll see that the song fits the books way more than The Twilight Saga!

      Delete

Merci pour ton commentaire! If you have asked a question, do check back for a reply - I'll try my best to answer.

 

Instagram

Grab My Button

Mermaid With A Book